Bambu

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Nina Kennedy
      Participant

In at least one episode that I can think of Jane has shown a scarf woven with bambu yarn. She explains that it is 12 gauge or 7 gauge. I don’t understand what the gauge means. Is the 7 gauge like 8/2 bamboo sold by other vendors (i.e. Brassard)?

sylvia.lowry
        Participant

Hi Nina,

I don’t understand gauges either. I have made many scarves with 2/16 bamboo from Brassard at 30 epi. This one is white with a silver thread. I sold it for a very good price at our guild shop.

Sylvia

bamboo scarf

Sandra
          Keymaster

Hi, Nina – this is the description that illustrates the difference between the 7 and 12 gauge Bambu yarns that JST carries.  “Bambu 7 gauge is available in 100 g cones with 462 yds/cone (2,100 yds/lb). Bambu 12 gauge available in 100 g cones with 1,386 yds/cone (6,300 yds/lb).”  You can see that the 12 gauge is 3 times finer than the 7 gauge.  For a visual, should you have some in your stash – 20/2 Bombyx Silk is 5,000 yds/lb.

Page 3 of the Master Sett Chart also gives you an idea with the difference in recommended setts.  Hope this helps.

Nina Kennedy
            Participant

Thank you Sandra for your reply. I did see the difference between the 7 gauge and the 12 gauge in terms of yardage. I guess I still don’t understand what the terms mean – why “gauge” instead of the usual 8/2 or 16/2 which describes other yarns. Additionally “7 gauge” and “12 gauge” doesn’t tell you if the yarn is plied.

Oh well – at least knowing the yardage enables one to compare to yardage counts of other yarn.

Sandra
                Keymaster

OK, Nina – I went to the top and this is what Jane wrote!

These yarns were originally created for knitting machines and the gauge is the number of needles in the machine bed.  These are all plied yarns.  It is a bit deceiving but the 7 gauge is cabled very fine 2 ply and the 12 gauge is 2 ply of a 2 ply 🙂 Crazy huh!

Nina Kennedy
                Participant

Thanks for going to the top 🙂

That is interesting information about the Bambu gauge system and good to know. I am now more curious than ever about this yarn and shall have to try it!

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.