Alternative to Harrisville Shetland?

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation Alternative to Harrisville Shetland?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      karen5
      Participant

Could you suggest an alternative to Harrisville Shetland ?  Something a bit softer and less scratchy?  Thanks.

Jacqueline
        Participant

I am also looking for an alternative as I haven’t seen it for sale in the UK.

Sandra
          Keymaster

I love Zepher Wool/Silk and it is sooo soft.  Merino yarn is also softer.  The Zepher Merino and Zepher Wool/Silk that Jane carries are slightly finer than the Harrisvile Shetland but both work as shrinkers – if that’s what you are looking for.

Jacqueline – you should be able to get your hands on some fine merino (not superwash!)

Ellen Black
            Participant

what is your use final use going to be?   And what sett is a consideration as well.

kathleen ready
              Participant

I sometimes buy merino wool from a knitting store. Just keep the yards per lb. approximately the same.

Harrisville 1800 yds per lb. and Fine or super fine weight wool is about the same. I wouldn’t buy sock wool as its treated and may not bloom as much in washing.

What ever you choose, if you go outside Janes’ supplies, do a sample. Each wool type/brand will full differently.

Jacqueline
                Participant

Thank you Sandra, yes I can get Zephyr and Jaggerspun Merino.  Many thanks.

Haydn Sinclair
                  Participant

No need to look for alternatives any more. If you want to use the genuine article then Wonky Weaver in the UK now stocks both Harrisville Designs Shetland and Highland in 1/4lb cones. I know they are trying to stock the entire range of colours too! Hope that helps. Oh and they can ship anywhere in the EU too.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.