Advice/experience with Louet David loom?

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation Advice/experience with Louet David loom?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Maureen Janda
      Participant

I’m hoping to get my first, and probably only, floor loom and think the Louet David is the best for my physical limitations, which include a dicey back, and a bunch of joint replacements – two knees, three hips, two shoulders. There’s no shop to try any looms within several hundred miles, so I’m going on reactions I’ve read on Ravelry and other forums. The David’s beater system seems as if it would be easier on shoulders, it’s quieter than many, and takes up less floor space. I don’t know about other issues like tie-up that I’ve never done on a RH loom, which is all I have now.

I’m also thinking, why not get the 90cm, which is only $150 more than the 70cm from most dealers. What a shame to give up 20cm more fabric width for that small cost. In the worst case, if I were to find that my shoulders couldn’t take throwing the shuttle the extra width, is there any draw-back to not using the whole width of the loom?

I’m in my 70s and maybe it’s foolish to spend so much on something I may not be able to use for long, but if I get a well designed loom, hopefully I’ll be able to use it longer.

I’m enjoying the Guild and have learned so much that I’d love to be able to do on a “real” loom.

Sandra
        Keymaster

Hi Maureen!  If you want an answer from a totally biased person – here I am!

I’ve had a Louet David for 7 years and wouldn’t trade it for any other loom.  Sounds like we are in the same age bracket but I bought my loom from Jane before I had a bilateral knee replacement.  The loom I had prior to the David was difficult for me to get under to do the tie-ups.  It was also big and heavy.  Because of those barriers to my enjoying weaving, I rarely put a warp on that loom.

The David is a dream to warp, thread, tie-up and weave on.  I’ve only woven two items that have taken up the full width of the David 90 cm – baby blankets.  However, I’ve woven runners, napkins, tea towels, scarves, etc. on the David as well.  There is absolutely no drawback to not using the full width of the loom.  Weave bookmarks if you want😉

When I was recovering from my knee surgery, I found a way that I could do tie-ups without having to get underneath by tipping my David back a bit (well supported).  The David is light and compact.  When I bought the loom it came with an overhead beater but I converted to the sliding beater when it came along, and I love it.

I’m planning to be weaving on my David until I’m in my 90’s – any other questions I can answer for you?

Sandra aka Fibrelady

Maureen Janda
            Participant

Thank you, Sandra and Jane. Sandra, it does sound like we’re in the same orthopedic boat, so I’m thrilled to hear your experience. If and when I do get a David, I’m sure I’ll have questions, especially about that tipping up of the loom for tie-ups. It’s a matter now of accustoming the DH to the cost of a loom, and I’m not planning on mentioning the continuing costs of materials and accessories once I have one.

Jane
            Keymaster

Hi Maureen,
              Episode 8 is all about looms…so you will learn more then if you want to wait…but as Sandra says the David is a very sweet little loom. I would go with the wider width…there are no drawbacks to weaving narrower on him 🙂
              Jane

Maureen Janda
              Participant

I did it! I bought a David last night. So far, all I have of it is a tracking number, and even that hasn’t reached the USPS yet. Now all the lovely information that I’ve been seeing on the guild becomes real! It will take a while to get the loom, assemble it, buy minimum materials for it, warp it….
                So much to do, so exciting.

All those years as a programmer, then manager, doing tech-y stuff, then I retire and step back in time to something slower, with color and texture and creativity and tradition and it is so soul-satisfying.

Sandra
                Keymaster

What exciting news, Maureen!!  You’ll never regret it or look back.  AND, you won’t have bad habits to “unlearn” because you have access to Jane’s videos that you can watch over and over until you feel comfortable.  We’re here to virtually hold your hand when you need it.  I’m excited for you – let us know when your “due date” is ☺️

Judith
                  Participant

I too am now considering a David.  Age. Back issues. Knee issues.  All the “right” reasons to go to a different floor loom. I am trying to find out how high the breast (front) beam is.  I have contacted the company but cannot get s response.  Can anyone tell me that measurement?   Thanks!   Judith

Sandra
                      Keymaster

I’ve just measured mine – 30.5″ / 77.7 cm.  You won’t regret your decision!  The JST site has a lot of information on the David – scroll down your screen and click on description to find other measurements.

David Loom

Judith
                      Participant

Thank you!

Viewing 6 reply threads
                    • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.