Adding width to the Asymmetry sample

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 2 – Colour & Design Adding width to the Asymmetry sample

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Bonnie
      Participant

I would like my samples to be t-towels.

Has anyone added width to the draft?

If so, how many threads? Did you keep them white or continue the Fibonacci stripes?

Sandra
        Keymaster

Have you tried sketching it out both ways to see what appeals to you most?  A finished tea towel is around 18” (allowing for draw-in) and our sample is 12 1/2” finished so at 18 epi, you do the math to figure out how many more ends you’ll need 😜

Jean
          Participant

I added 120 ends of white to my warp which brings it to a little over 22 inches in reed. I’m weaving it on my Glimakra Standard, so I have plenty of room to open it up to 12 epi.

Jacquelynne
            Participant

I added width to the draft because I want bigger towels; 15 1/2″ in the reed is too small for my personal taste.  I made my stripes 14 ends rather than 10.  Chose 14 rather than 15 because the round number would do my head in when I was threading.  I then did the left and right sides in white to more or less keep the asymmetric balance. I didn’t agonize over the proportion.  I won’t be changing sett because my white is a 16/1, and I think it would be too gauzy sett at 12.

Jacquelynne

Sandra
                Participant

Jacquelynne, so about what is the width of your warp in the reed?

Jacquelynne
                    Participant

My dishtowel measures 24″ in the reed.  As I said, I like them big.  I plan on weaving them 32″ long, allowing for 1/2″ doubled hem each way.

silverymoon
                  Participant

I have a new kitchen, and we always hang a dishtowel on one of the cabinet handles. The normal width teatowels I wove are too wide and I need to fold them. My husband pointed out that as a weaver, I could just weave narrower towels, so I’ll do this warp in the width given and hope it works out for us 😀 And we also need napkins, and since we don’t have any yet, I can just decide on a size: I see some colour-and-weave napkins in our future…

Sandra
                    Keymaster

What a wonderful idea for creating useable samples!  Most of my napkins are handwoven and it’s always fun to look at them closely while using them and remembering their story!

Jean
                      Participant

If you look at the Asymmetry Sample thread here on the guild forum, I added 120 threads to the 80 thread side.  It was 22 in in my reed for the first sample and six towels (that I wove to my standard 32″ which includes 1.5″ hem on each end) and then I widened it out to 12 epi and changed the red to turquoise.  It was 33 in in the reed and I wove it with a charcoal wool that’s been in my stash for ages.  After wet finishing, I ended up with an awesome throw that I’m pretty sure I’m going to make into a poncho.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Jean.
                    Viewing 6 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.