Adding new weft

Forums Weaving Discussion Adding new weft

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Michelle Murray
      Participant

071C7011-2C26-4BF0-A906-7F1154168116Hello,

I’m a very new weaver and for whatever reason I can’t seem wrap my head around adding a new weft despite watching the videos. I have attached a picture of what mine looks like after I think I’ve followed the directions but it doesn’t seem right. Could you please let me know? I’ve also tried the search feature for the forum but am clearly not asking for the correct thing.

Thanks so much for your time and help!!

Michelle

sylvia.lowry
        Participant

Hello Michelle,
          If I’m seeing your picture correctly, about half way up on the left side, there appears to be a section of fat weft. Is that where you are adding the new weft?

What size yarn are you using?
          Sylvia

Michelle Murray
          Participant

Hi Sylvia,

Yes! That is were I have added the weft – so it is double. It seems no matter what I do I end up doubling an inch or so of either this pick or the next one. As for the size of yarn – – it’s a DK weight from my stash.

Thanks!!

Michelle

sylvia.lowry
            Participant

Hi,
              I’m afraid I don’t know what DK means to describe the yarn. The fact that the yarn is doubled over an inch or 2 is perfectly normal if you are using small diameter yarns like 16 to 35 ends per inch. Yarns of 6 to 10 ends per inch are pretty bulky. If your yarn is bulky, rather than just weaving it back on itself will cause too much bulk. Splicing the yarn before weaving back on itself will make the area the same as a single yarn. Splice the end of the yarn by cutting half of the threads out for a couple of inches and do the same with the new weft. Then just overlap the 2 ends.
              Does that help?
              Sylvia

sylvia.lowry
              Participant

One more thought Michelle. Adding a new weft is best done at the edge of your weaving wher it is less visible.
                Sylvia

Michelle Murray
                Participant

Hi Sylvia,

so the weaving weight of the yarn would be about a 3/2. I have added it at the edge. So basically the doubling of the weft for that one inch or so is what is supposed to happen?

sylvia.lowry
                  Participant

Hi Michelle,
                    3/2 is a bit thick. If you think the join is too bulky, you could try a splice and see if the result is less obvious. Good luck with this.
                    Sylvia

Michelle Murray
                    Participant

Hi Sylvia,

Yeah, it is thick, I’m just using odds and ends from my stash to practice. I really do appreciate your confirming what it should look like and offering up the idea of splicing – I’m going to give that a try.

kindly,

Michelle

Sandra
                      Keymaster

Hi Michelle, for a little visual help on spicing – search the Beta version of the Guild Index with the word “splicing” – you’ll find a number of spots where Jane demonstrates how to do this.  At the moment, the search is a bit slow but it works.

Michelle Murray
                        Participant

Excellent, thank you!!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.