Adding a Race to my Jane

Forums Weaving Discussion Adding a Race to my Jane

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      jmadoyle
      Participant

I have a Louet Jane table loom which I love.  I have not been successful using a shuttle.  Is there any way to add a Race to the beater bar?

yezemin
        Participant

I assume you could add a race… using screws to attach it, for example. Don’t know if that wouldn’t be in the way, if you want to pack the Jane away… but I can tell you, that a race won’t make throwing your shuttle fool proof!

My Louet has a Race and I still manage to throw my shuttle through the warp from time to time. 🙂 I started with a loom without race and managed to throw my shuttle there quite fine (after a while). Getting the race was more like a step backwards, as I assumed I could throw more “careless” now.

I would try to practice with a shuttle without yarn, to get the hang of it. I believe Jane recommends that too in one of her earlier videos.

jmadoyle
          Participant

I can throw the shuttle but it falls between the warp threads.  An 8″ warp with a 9″ shuttle I suppose would be fine; but a 25″ warp with a 9″ shuttle is impossible without a race –  I would think.

Ginette
              Keymaster

Hi jmadoyle,

Like yezemin mentions, if you can keep practicing throwing the shuttle without a bobbin, it will become easier. I have the wider Jane loom and usually thread the whole width and use a boat shuttle. You’ll soon get used to not having a shuttle race. On my David loom with a shuttle race, yep, I too get those dives and then it’s gone under the loom. Maybe have another view at Season 1 Episode 3.3  ‘Good Weaving Technique’ at the beginning of the video and see if you can pick up any extra tips on throwing the shuttle. Hope this helps!

yezemin
              Participant

Did you really mean an 8″ warp with an 9″ shuttle? That would mean no throwing at all, therefore I’m asking.

My old loom without a shuttle race had a max weaving width around 30inch and I used that width frequently.

It’s really just technique, if your problem isn’t warp tension.

If that is too low (even for some threads), the shuttle will take a dive more frequently, as the warp doesn’t hold the shuttle in a straigth line, while sliding through, even if you throw it just fine. Perhaps that is your problem?

Liza
                Participant

I added a race to my Rasmussen table loom with a few pieces of wood and clamps. It works fantastically!D3214325-46CF-4808-AD1F-CC78081B79C7

Robyn B
                  Participant

Loved the idea of doing a race with clamps.  So far tightening the tension a click has made it easy to use the boat shuttle successfully, but it’s always good to have a backup!  Thanks Liza

Edited to add info on boat shuttle:  I use the boats shuttles made by Handywoman.  They are lighter and slimmer in height than any others I’ve found but still fully fit a loaded bobbin.  The weight matters in how easily the boat shuttle moves across rather than down through the warp.  Here’s the link:  https://www.etsy.com/listing/515690378/rigid-heddle-boat-shuttle-longs-low?ref=yr_purchases

• This reply was modified 6 days, 18 hours ago by Robyn B.
                    jmadoyle
                    Participant

Remarkedly simple.  Thank you so very much.

Where did you find those lightweight clamps please?.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by jmadoyle.
                      Liza
                      Participant

I found them on Amazon. I needed something that would open to almost three inches. They are called beach towel clips, apparently. They do the trick!

jmadoyle
                        Participant

Again, thank you.  It’s amazing how clever and resourceful I’ve found weavers to be!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.