8/2 vs 10/2?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Susan Jaken
      Participant

My “stash” happens to be mostly 10/2 rather than the 8/2 specified in the guild projects.  I’m assuming I can adjust the sleying in the dent without causing too much grief.  Comments?  For the additional colors needed for the Season 2 Guild Projects, would it be best to stick with 10/2 or, alternatively, should I start over and start building an 8/2 stash?  Advice appreciated.

Sue

Sandra
        Keymaster

Can I make the assumption that – because you already have a stash of 10/2 cotton- that you are already beyond the stages of a beginning weaver.  Making that assumption, I don’t think you will have a problem setting your sample at the recommended sett for that yarn and opening it up from there by resleying.  That being said, 8/2 is a wonderful weight and priced yarn to sample with 😉

janice.masson
          Participant

I, too, have a 10/2 stash.  I was taught to make teatowels with 10/2. After making an 8/2 towel recently I saw the difference in the two fibers.  10/2 mercerized pushes the water “around” more than 8/2 which “absorbs” water.

In my case it was my weaving teacher.  I like how Jane’s instructions show how to build a towel.  I feel so liberated!

I will be traveling for 6 months and not able to put on a long warp with each of these samples.  My solution is to (1) use my 10/2 stash to make (2) napkins at 24 epi on my (20” rigid heddle loom” that can travel with me.  I have taken a zillion notes from the division of space videos, both seasons, and want to make samples that will be smaller and use my 10/2. I am slowly building my 8/2 stash and, of course, want all the colors!!!

Just an exciting idea.

Janice

Sandra
            Keymaster

If you have room, take a notebook and pencils with you for moments when you can play with graphics on your trip!  I look forward to seeing photos of your napkins!

Susan Jaken
              Participant

Janice –  interesting observation. You mention that the 10/2 was mercerized. Was the 8/2 also mercerized?  Napkins – great idea for your road trip.

Thanks

sue

brgila
                Participant

I use cottonlin with my 10/2 unmercerized cotton.  It had the same sett.  I prefer the 10/2 cotton for dish towels.  They are not as thick as the 8/2 cotton but absorb just as well and “look” nicer to me.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.